|Welcome to Durham Early Head Start
What is Early Head Start?
Durham Early Head Start is a collaboration between Durham’s Partnership for Children, Chapel Hill Training-Outreach Project and Center for Child & Family Health. Early Head Start is a no cost, comprehensive child development and family support program for low-income families with children aged birth to three years old and to expectant families.
The Durham EHS program serves 172 children and their families in two program options: center-based and home-based. Pregnant women are enrolled in the home-based option.
• Families receive one home visit per week from a Home Visitor who is trained in the research-based Parents as Teachers curriculum.
• Parents participate in learning activities designed to enhance their child’s learning, and receive information and support on parenting issues as well as resource and referral information.
• Expecting moms receive home visits at least once per month from a Home Visitor who is trained in the research-based Partners for a Healthy Baby curriculum.
• Moms receive information and support on having a healthy pregnancy, as well as resource and referral information.
• Families and Expecting families have an opportunity to attend a Play Group with other children and families twice per month.
• Home visits are available in Spanish and English.
• Parents are encouraged to play an active role in the management of DEHS by joining parent committees and policy groups.
• Children receive 6- or 10-hour, full-year childcare in one of our partnering centers.
• Early Head Start teachers and staff provide a nurturing and stimulating learning environment for children.
• Families commit to participate in home visits and parent-teacher conferences.
• Family Service Coordinators and Bilingual Family Service Coordinators meet individually with parents to provide information, support, and resource and referral information
• Families have an opportunity to attend parent meetings and to become active in the management of the Durham EHS program.
Who is eligible?
• Pregnant women and children who will be 2 or younger as of August 31, whose address is in Durham County.
• Foster children and children from families receiving public assistance (TANF or SSI) and homeless families regardless of income.
• Children with documented disabilities may be eligible regardless of income.
• Families who meet income eligibility as determined by Federal Poverty Guidelines.
2015 Head Start Family Income Eligibility Guidelines (130% of the Federal guidelines for poverty):
||Annual Family Income
|For each additional family member add:
How Can I apply?
Enrollment Applications can be downloaded here and applications may be submitted at the Durham Early Head Start Office. Durham EHS accepts applications for the upcoming program year from February 1 until May 15. Families not selected for the upcoming program year will be on the waitlist for that program year. Families must reapply yearly.
Click on the table below for Head Start enrollment applications (in English or Spanish) that you can print, fill out and mail along with additional required documents to
Durham Early Head Start.
Durham EHS Application [English] [Spanish]
Applications must include:
1. Completed and signed application.
2. Proof of income or school for all guardians, in the home. (Examples are: Pay stubs for 1 month, most recent W-2 or 1040 Tax form, SSI or TANF documentation, Letter from Employer, Letter from School, School schedule), or a notarized Statement of No Income.
3. Proof of child’s age – something official with your child’s birth date on it (Birth Certificate or Passport, Medicaid Card, etc.)
4. Proof of Durham Residency – a lease or bill or ID that show you live in Durham.
5. Special Services Paperwork – if your child receives any special services, documentation about that (sometimes called an IFSP).
6. Family Intake Interview by Durham EHS staff member.
Please call or stop by the Durham Early Head Start Office for more information.
Durham Early Head Start
1201 S. Briggs Ave., Suite 110
Durham, NC 27707
Phone: (919) 439-7107
Fax: (866) 839-1642
Families with children age 3 and 4 and who reside in Durham are advised to contact Head Start at 919-688-5541.
|For Information about the Durham EHS program, Click Here
Durham Early Head Start
1201 S. Briggs Ave.
Durham, NC 27703
For home-based option only:
Center for Child and Family Health, call: 919-419-3474